Add to Technorati Favorites "Going the Distance!": "Marathon Challenge" on NOVA, Diet as a Lifestyle, Re-evalute Your Footwear Needs and Upcoming "Adventures"

Sunday, October 21, 2007

"Marathon Challenge" on NOVA, Diet as a Lifestyle, Re-evalute Your Footwear Needs and Upcoming "Adventures"

Vermont Foliage: Photo by Matt Ramos

Running - 39.01 Miles, 5:40:19, 8:43 Pace
Yoga - 3 Hours
Elliptical Machine - 1.5 Hours

This is my favorite time of the year; the mornings are crisp, the humidity is low and the beauty of the changing forest is breathtaking. Fall is definitely here! Just this morning I was running with a group of SLUGs out on Chubb trail and the golden glow from the leaves was practically blinding; what a day to be a runner! If you'd like please share some comments or pictures of the fall foliage from your area; I'd love to hear about your experiences during what I think is the best season of them all.

"MARATHON CHALLENGE" on NOVA
I thought this program would be of interest to many of you as it definitely is to me; I love to hear about others pushing their limits to achieve a goal which they once thought was impossible. These individuals and many of you are living proof that we are all capable of anything we put our minds to through hard work and discipline. Following is a description of the program:

"In cooperation with the Boston Athletic Association and Tufts University, NOVA was granted unprecedented access to the Boston Marathon course. In the summer of 2006, we began following 13 hopeful novices as they took the first step toward completing the 26.2-mile race in April 2007. The participants come from diverse backgrounds - a young woman running in memory of her mother, who died in a tragic car accident; a working single mom; even a former NFL linebacker. The one unifying element is that none of them is currently a runner. Over the nine-month training period, exercise and nutrition scientists and doctors at Tufts University use sophisticated technology to monitor the physical transformations that the participants have undergone. The experience demands a transformation of mind and body, and NOVA cameras are there, following every step of the way. Who was able to finish the race and what type of changes did the runners experience? You'll have to tune in to find out. "Marathon Challenge" will premiere Tuesday, October 30 at 8:00 pm on most PBS stations. For more information you can visit the Nova Website. You can also view a short promo of the show on Youtube by clicking HERE.

DIET AS A LIFESTYLE

Many of you know that I once weighed in at 230 lbs. and was approaching a 40 inch waist; most of the people I meet today have a hard time believing that but it's definitely true. Runner's World recently had an article about how to maintain a healthy weight and not always be on a diet; diet's don't work. You must adopt habits and a healthy lifestyle that you can maintain indefinitely. By no means does that mean depriving yourself, as runners we can get by with a few more calories than the average Joe, but it does mean being aware of what you are consuming and burning. Here are a few tips from the article:

1. Keep Up the Carbs
You won't find NWCR folks on a high-protein diet. Most successful losers get about 49 percent or more of the calories from carbs, about 29 percent from fat, and the remainder from protein. This makes sense for runners, as you need the carbs to fuel your workouts. The key is selecting the right carbs-foods rich in fiber, like grains, beans, fruits, and veggies. Fiber helps dieters by providing a sense of fullness. Even better, research shows that a diet that includes 34 or more grams of fiber daily actually drops the number of calories your body takes up from your food. Over a year's time, this could equal a 10-pound weight loss.
2. Become a Morning Person
In one study, 78 percent of NWCR participants reported eating breakfast every day-a habit that may help curb appetite later in the day. Research shows that breakfast eaters, especially those who start the day with cereals (a natural for fiber), have a lower body mass index than those who skip the morning meal. Plus, protein often appears in breakfast foods in its proper proportion for sating appetite. Eating in the a.m. is particularly important for runners who work out in the morning, since it helps restock drained glycogen stores, along with supplying a variety of vitamins, minerals, and protein needed for recovery and good health.
3. Keep Moving
You know as a runner that burning calories tips the scales in your favor. So it comes as no surprise that NWCR participants are steadfast with their exercise. "The average person in the registry is burning about 2,800 calories a week in activity," says Wing. Last year, the USDA established 60 to 90 minutes as the recommended daily physical activity for those trying to maintain weight loss. Research shows that people who exercise daily on average weigh less than sedentary folks but eat more.

You can read the article in its entirety by clicking HERE.

RE-EVALUATE YOUR FOOTWEAR NEEDS
I've been running in Asics Kayano's for almost 2 years now; they have quite a bit of support, are a bit heavy and just generally a lot of shoe. In the past 2 years I've logged thousands of miles and my running stride is much more efficient now than when I started. I used to be a heel striker, slight overpronator and a somewhat heavy plodder; now I have a mid-foot strike, a relatively neutral gait and when running on road you can barely here me coming. Friday I realized that I needed to visit the running store to get into a shoe that fits the runner I am today rather than just sticking with the same old standby. I went to Big River Running Company and discussed my needs with Matt and Ben and walked out of there with a pair of New Balance 902's. I had always said I was an Asics guy but after running in them yesterday I may have found a new brand; plus the wild Orange color makes me look really fast! Key word here is LOOK fast :-) You are constantly evolving and improving as a runner; it's OK to re-evaluate your footwear needs and perhaps make a change. You may find out that is exactly what you need to get that spring back into your step.

UPCOMING "ADVENTURES"
So I told you last week that I have a lot of things going on between now and Thanksgiving; I have to keep my life interesting so that all of you will keep tuning in to the blog. OK, maybe that's not exactly true, but sounds like a good excuse for weekly adventures to me! I've been having a great time lately traveling to races and making new friends from all over the country. Of course there will be pictures and recaps up on the blog but I wanted to give all of you a quick preview:

This Weekend (10/26 - 10/28) - My good friend Deanna Stoppler and I are heading over to Topeka, Kansas to camp out, eat some SMORE's and run the Rock Creek 50K. There will be a TON of my friends either running or volunteering at this race; here are a few that I know will be there, Dave Wakefield, "Bad Ben" Holmes, Paul Schoenlaub, Stuart Johnson and we could see an appearance (at least as spectators) from fellow Arkansas Traveller finishers Rick Mayo and Gabe Bevan.

November 1 to 4 - Heading out to Western Nebraska (via Denver) to meet up with Running4Recovery founder and co-owner Brad Holzworth and the rest of the team. We plan on spending a few days out at his condo discussing our plans for the future of the program and just really getting to know each other better. We'll be hitting the trails out there and putting in some miles as we're brainstorming through our ideas. I'm really looking forward to the trip and the chance to connect with Brad, the team and to explore a bit of Nebraska (uncharted territory for me).

November 7 to 11 - I will be going out to Los Angeles for a few days to spend some time with a good friend and former colleague, Erik Joule. I worked for Erik at Guess and he has always been someone who stood by me and helped me through some of the darkest moments in my life. As many of you know I'm in "hover mode" right now as I figure out what is next for me in life; Erik and I have quite a bit of catching up to do as I am very different today than I was during my LA days. He is someone I greatly admire and respect and I know he will have some great advice and insight. We plan on doing a lot of hiking up near Ojai, running along the beach and Yoga (of course!). It will be my first time in LA since 2003 and it is nice to be going back to visit someone I can trust to support me in my new, sober lifestyle.

November 16 to 18 - I am running the Route 66 Marathon in Tulsa, OK, on November 18th with my second cousins Dan and Brian. They both recently started running and it will be their first marathon; I am so excited to be supporting them through to the finish and sharing in this life changing moment with the two of them! Dan has quite a story as he has lost almost 100 lbs. through running. He is in the process of putting the finishing touches on his testimonial and I will be posting it up on the Running4Recovery website soon.

So what have all of you been up to? Any recent adventures you'd like to share or some exciting events that you have coming up? I encourage you to post your thoughts and news in the comments section as I'm always interested in what is going on in your lives.

Hope all is well and Happy Running,
Carey

3 comments:

Tom said...

Hi Carey. I just found your blog sit e. Wow, you have a great personal story of weight loss and fitness.

The information about Marathon Challenge is the first I've heard about it.

Will look forward to reading you more regularly.

Tom

kelly said...

Hey Carey, I'm glad things are going well for you. Oh and congrats on your AT 100 finish. Good job! You are doing a great job on your blog, too.

Dan said...

What a great blog entry. I just eat up this stuff you put up there. I am still waiting to get that pic for my story for the website. Keep it up! See you in Nov. Dan