Add to Technorati Favorites "Going the Distance!": My Cousin Dan: From Couch Potato to Marathon Runner

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

My Cousin Dan: From Couch Potato to Marathon Runner

The above picture is Dan at his 182 lb. "fighting" weight

I wanted to share my second cousin's story with all of you as he is a real inspiration! Dan and our other cousin, Brian, will be running their first marathon at the Route 66 Marathon in Tulsa, OK on November 18th. I will be joining the two of them and am honored and proud to share in this life changing experience and celebration of their hard work and dedication. Here is Dan's story:

"Starting in high school, I had always been very fit, played football, lived in the weight room, and ate a healthy diet (on a teenager scale). During college my weight, like many other people, started to climb. I continued off and on to lift weights but as my weight room experience tapered my food consumption increased. At the age of 30 my weight had reached a new all-time high at 270lbs and 5’10”.

Ironically, it is not the person in the mirror that wakes us up to our weight it is a photograph that makes us think, “I don’t recognize this person!” It was that last picture that made me say enough is enough! I began to run and hated it! A half mile was torture! I started gradually, slowing building up to a mile, then a mile and half and so on. Now, I can’t wait to get out there.

I am now training for my first marathon. Running has helped me shed the weight fairly quickly along with eating sensibly. I didn’t follow any fad diet. I just ate sensibly. Many people get caught up in the diet scene and are more worried about points than what their brain is telling them. I now weigh 182lbs and the rewards are too numerous to count. For starters, I have more energy to keep up with my five year old daughter now! Running has transformed my life, one from obese and low energy to, “I can not wait to take that long run this weekend!” Your self-confidence will soar along with a boost in self-esteem. The worst thing about running is that I have had to buy a new wardrobe twice!"

Absolutely AMAZING! Dan followed the 4 steps of the Running4Recovery program by:

CLAIMING OWNERSHIP: He took an honest look at himself at the age of 30 and knew he had to change his habits. He took responsibility for his obesity and made a plan to do something about it.

ASK FOR HELP: He asked his family and friends to support him in his new lifestyle by helping him to make healthier choices in his diet. He also consulted books and online resources to help him reach his goal of running a marathon.

RUN FOR RECOVERY: He hit the streets religiously following his training plan and grew to love running; now he's a regular Forrest Gump!

ENJOY YOUR FREEDOM: On November 18th he's going to enjoy the benefits of being leaner and healthier by running his first marathon. This will be a celebration of his tremendous achievement!

Congratulations Dan; I am so proud of you. I can't wait to run with you and Brian in Tulsa and know that the two of you will do great!

This is my second post this week so if you missed the first one continue down the page to read my race report from the Rock Creek 50K this past weekend in Lake Perry, KS.

Hope all is well and Happy Running,
Carey

No comments: