Add to Technorati Favorites "Going the Distance!": HURT 100, Dan Baglione's Thoughts on Risks & Mom's Hearty Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Sunday, January 13, 2008

HURT 100, Dan Baglione's Thoughts on Risks & Mom's Hearty Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

2007 HURT photo by Arturs Pridanovs

HURT 100
This Saturday runners from across the globe will toe the line at the HURT 100 Mile Endurance Run near Honolulu, Hawaii. Here is how A Step Beyond: A Definitive Guide to Ultrarunning describes the race:

"Held in a nature center in tropical Hawaii while the contintental U.S. is experiencing the worst of winter, how tough can the HURT 100 Mile be? Pretty tough, actually. Muddy, rooted, rocky, single-track trails make up this multiple-loop course, set in a mountainous tropical rainforest. In addition, according to the race brochure, you can expect precipitous and dangerous drop-offs in several locations. All that and 23,750 feet of climb combines to make this one of the toughest 100 milers out there. As the race suggests, this 100-miler is for the adventurous (and experienced) ultrarunner. The 36-hour time limit attests as to its difficulty level."

Two "Blog Friends" will be participating in this event; Kelly, as a pacer for the 2007 Angeles Crest 100 female winner and AC course record holder, Suzanna Bon, and Sam (Jeffery Rogers) as a runner competing in the event. For live runner updates during the race click HERE. Also tune into Sam's Blog all this week as he discusses his training, race strategy and last minute prepartions and then again on Saturday as he and his team attempt to live blog throughout the race. Very cool, Sam!

Dan Baglione's Thoughts on Risks
Last week I talked about risking more this year and pushing myself to the limit by actually racing more and running less. Dan emailed me his thoughts on risks and I wanted to share them with all of you:

"It's a risk every time we toe the line. No matter how well you know the course, no matter how well you may have done in a given race in the past, you never know for certain what lies ahead on the day you stand at the starting line waiting to test yourself once again. If you did know, it would not be a test, and there would be no reason for being there. The satisfaction is in knowing that on that given day, we have done our best, physically and mentally."

Very well put, Dan. I agree with you completely!

Mom's Hearty Oatmeal Cookies
There are a few staples in my diet and one of my favorite are my Mom's delicious and healthy oatmeal cookies. I usually have two of them as a mid-morning snack and thought it would be good to share the recipe with all of you.

- Preheat Oven to 375 degrees
- In a very large bowl mix:
* 1 Jar of Unsweetened Apple Sauce (20 - 25 oz.)
* 1 Cup of Brown Sugar
* 2 Teaspoons of Vanilla Extract
* 1/2 Cup of Canola Oil

- In a different large bowl mix:
* 6 Cups of Old Fashioned Quaker Oats (or brand of your choice)
* 2 Cups of Flour
* 2 Teaspoons of Salt
* 1 1/2 Teaspoons of Cinnamon
* 2 Teaspoons of Baking Soda
* 2 Cups of Raisins
* 2 Cups of Walnuts or Pecans

- Gradually add dry ingredients to liquid and mix by hand. Spray cookie sheet with non-stick spray and spoon onto cookie sheet. Bake for 12 minutes. Yields approximately 3 dozen cookies.

Of course you can substitute organic ingredients if you prefer. We have tried whole wheat flour but found that it just doesn't work and we haven't tried raw sugar yet but may experiment with that sometime in the near future. Seriously, make up a batch; you won't be disappointed!

The Traveler and The Shepherd
A friend of mine, Jeremy Bolt, shared this parable and quote with me:

Traveler - What kind of weather are we going to have today?
Shepherd - The kind of weather I like.
Traveler - How do you know it will be the kind of weather you like?
Shepherd - Having found out, sir, that I cannot always get what I like, I have learnt always to like what I get. So I am quite sure we will have the kind of weather I like.

"Happiness and unhappiness are in the way we meet events, not in the nature of those events themselves." - Anthony De Mello

Food for thought...

Hope all of you are well and Happy Running,
Carey

4 comments:

"Sherpa" John Lacroix said...

Hey!

Sign your ass up for McNaughton all ready! Quit stallin!

Now excuse me while I make some cookies.

SJ

Jeffro said...

I plan to experiment with your mom's cookie recipe this weekend. I'll let you know if it works out.

Carey said...

OK, already :-) I reserved a room at the Holiday Inn Express for Thursday night (4/10) with 2 double beds if you or anyone you know wants to go in on it with me.

I guess I'll succumb to the peer pressure and go sign up now,
- Carey

Suzy said...

I'm going to make the cookies right now........except I'm using chocolate chips instead of the raisins. It's....errrr.......for the kids.;)