Add to Technorati Favorites "Going the Distance!": Randomness at the Charlottesville Marathon

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Randomness at the Charlottesville Marathon

Chris in the jungles of Colombia (South America, not Missouri :-)

My good friend, Chris Wynne, ran the Charlottesville Marathon today in Charlottesville, VA. I ran Chris' first marathon with him back in 2006 at Chicago and of course, he ended up beating me; I chalked it up to beginner's luck :-) This was his third marathon and he finished in a time of 3:32:04 which is very impressive considering he's also a full time law student at UVA. What's so interesting about his run today is the email he sent me this afternoon:

"You'll get a kick out of this -- I ended up running with this guy who told me he was partial to ultras....after about a few minutes, I found out that not only did this guy recognize your name from your blog, but he was the guy whose girlfriend you talked to at McNaughton -- the guy who slept for 11 hours during the 150 miler and got up and kept going (I think he said he wound up finishing 6th). His name is John and he's from here in Charlottesville. Small world, right??"

I don't know what's crazier, the randomness of Chris "running" into him or the fact that he is running a marathon less than a week after the McNaughton 150!?!

Great job Chris on a strong finish! For the full 2008 Charlottesville Marathon and Half Marathon Results click HERE.

4 comments:

Jeremy said...

haha! Small world indeed! Tony sounds like a tough dude...better back off :P J/K

As a side note, didn't you today at the double chubb. Hope you're doing well.

Jeremy

Chris said...

Thanks for the shoutout Carey!

Oh, and I think his name is actually John Bridges, judging from the race reports. I don't know where I got Tony from (sorry John if you're out there). I must have knocked a screw loose yesterday!

Anonymous said...

that is random---and so is the fact that I somehow came across your blog and ran the 1/2 in charlottesville yesterday!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi there! I was the "girlfriend" and to clarify his full name is John Anthony Bridges. He enters races as John Bridges but goes by Tony everywhere else, so you were all right. :) -