Add to Technorati Favorites "Going the Distance!": What? I thought Dark Chocolate was GOOD for you!?!

Sunday, April 27, 2008

What? I thought Dark Chocolate was GOOD for you!?!



For the past few years it seems like everywhere I look I'm reading about the benefits of dark chocolate and with my focus on health and fitness, I've been doing my duty and making sure to include at least 1/2 oz. of dark chocolate in my diet every day (my preference is Ghirardelli's 60% Cacao Dark Chocolate). Some days are tougher than others but I know that what I am doing is good for my body and that it will pay off in the long run; YEAH RIGHT, I LOVE CHOCOLATE! Sunday long runs are "tough", resistance training is "tough", EATING DARK CHOCOLATE IS PURE HEAVEN! So I must say I was a bit bummed when I read recently that perhaps dark chocolate isn't all it's cracked up to be. According to a double blind, placebo study conducted by the Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University:

"This investigation failed to support the predicted beneficial effects of short-term dark chocolate and cocoa consumption on any of the neuropsychological or cardiovascular health-related variables included in this research. Consumption of dark chocolate and cocoa was, however, associated with significantly higher pulse rates at 3- and 6-wk treatment assessments."

Say it ain't so!!!! Apparently it was too good to be true and we've been tricked by the marketing geniuses at Hershey's. Of course I may hold out until I see more evidence, it was only one study and they could be wrong; they say there's no "short-term benefits" but I'm in it for the long haul. To read more about the study click HERE.

Two weeks have passed since my 70 mile DNF at McNaughton and as time passes I have become more comfortable with my decision. If you've been paying attention to my upcoming race schedule you may have noticed that one day I say I'm running Kettle in June and the next day it's "tentative"; I haven't signed up yet because I'm a bit undecided. Part of me thinks I need to get right back on the horse and "redeem" myself while another part of me doesn't feel redemption is necessary; "only run it if you truly want to". So that's what I've decided to do, until I'm 100% certain I'm not going to commit.

And now, if you'll excuse me, I need to get my daily dose of dark chocolate :-)
Hope all of you are well,
Carey

1 comment:

Deanna Stoppler said...

i hear ya on the chocolate, but i think it's okay in moderation. actually, i've turned somewhat of a new leaf and am only drinking decaf coffee. supposedly, the effects of caffeine will stay in your system for 36 hrs. for the first 3 days after i quit i was SO tired, but now i'm doing fine. i still eat dark chocolate though, but am like you and eat a bit, not an entire bar. however, chocolate has caffeine, but the amount i'm eating isn't significant compared to a full dose in a cup of java.

well, i'll see you at berryman. i'm thinking about just doing the marathon since that's the distance i'm looking forward to right now.

peace out!

p.s. since gas is so expensive, do you think we should carpool? i haven't looked at the map to see if that's doable for that location in proximity to where we're each driving from.